Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Meal Ideas and Helpful hints for deliverying to those in need

In our church, we like to help a family in need after a new baby, a surgery, a funeral, etc. What makes this difficult is that whenever it's my turn to create a meal...I blank.....totally forget any ideas of what I can make for others.  (It probably doesn't help that we tend to get stuck in a meal rut and so that doesn't help my creativity either)

Here is a website with 10 meals for delivery...I can't wait to try them. 

I really like the idea of bringing a few snacky things or breakfast items to the people in need.  Dinner/lunch isn't the only meal they will be eating. 

Here are a few  ideas:

  • Make some frozen waffles (and syrup) and take to the receiving family in a ziplock back separated by wax paper for easy single serve removal.
  • Corn muffins, biscuits, rolls.  You can make these homemade or not and again, deliver in a ziplock.  The family can freeze and thaw as needed.
  • Blueberry muffins, choc chip muffins, etc.  Who doesn't love a good muffin?  Nuf said.
  • Soup--Remind the recipient that they don't have to eat it all at one time.  Freeze in a ziplock quart/gallon baggie what doesn't get eaten right away.
  • Ice cream in a baggie:  Check out this link for the recipe/instructions. (I had to put mine in the freezer for about 30-45 minutes after shaking to freeze...it was oh so yummy)
  • Homemade Applesauce:  It's SO easy to make
Black bean soup
Chicken Pot Pie
Shredded Pork in the crockpot
Beef Enchiladas
BLTs (not put together yet)
Homemade Pizza (frozen for easy baking)

I am so glad that I get the opportunity to be a blessing to others by feeding them.  (Granted, my husband might not use the word "blessing" when it comes to my cooking....ha ha)

No comments:

Post a Comment