Friday, September 23, 2011

Making my own salsa

I ran out of salsa the other day, had no time to run to the store and figured I would make my own with the meager supplies I had onhand.

So I google salsa......Blender salsa....sounds easy enough......so I did that. 

Ingredients
  • 2 (14.4 ounce) cans diced tomatoes (Aldi rotel style is what I used)
  • 1 jalapeno chile, seeds and ribs removed
  • 1/2 yellow onion, quartered
  • 1/2 bunch cilantro leaves
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, or to taste
  • salt to taste
I didn't have the crossed out items AND I used a purple onion.  Then I added some celery salt instead of regular salt, some red pepper flakes and blended away.  I also have recently discovered Cumin lately and figured since it is used in Mexican recipes, why not add it to salsa?

After blending and tasting and eating it right away for lunch I thought it was pretty good. A little runny, but it cured my "fix" for salsa.

HOWEVER, once it sat in the refrigerator and the flavors intermixed....holy batman that's some spicy salsa!
I made a bigger jar, but I already ate the rest of it, so this is all that is left at this point. :)
 Not to shabby for my first attempt.   It's a little too spicy and less flavorish, so I tried again, this time after I bought some lime juice and cilantro.
 
This time it's browner....(I still added 1 tsp. cumin and 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes, 2 tbsp.lime juice and 1 can "fire-roasted" canned tomatoes)  It tastes good initially, so I'm anxious to see how it turns out after the flavors combine. 
 
The next time I decide to do salsa, I'm gonna try this recipe for Fresh Tomato Salsa, as I would prefer it not to be so runny and would love it to be more chunky.  (I think I'm still gonna add some cumin and lemon juice too!)

Have you made salsa?  Do you have any tried and true recipes?

No comments:

Post a Comment