Friday, February 1, 2013

Muffins from juice pulp (PLUS juicer recipes)

Happy February!  How are your New Year's Resolution's coming along?

I have been trying to incorporate healthy eating into our diets for a while now.  I recently purchased a Hurom slow juicer (it pulverizes slowly to save nutrients) and we have been juicing for a few weeks now. 

We have been mostly fruit juicing but I did try a wannabe V8 once and it was not my favorite.  I struggled to choke it down.  I have been saving my pulp from juicing figuring I can use it for something...either as compost for my new seeds in spring, making muffins or soups, or well.....I wasn't sure, but I couldn't bring myself to throw it all out in the compost pile.  So I froze it in quart baggies.

Last night while juicing some fruit, I decided I would make some muffins with the pulp.  I looked at a few websites, but each only called for 1/2 cup of pulp and I had 2 cups on hand and more in the freezer.  Then I stumbled upon Make Your Own Juice Pulp Muffin Recipe. There are other pulp recipes and juice recipes at All About Juicing.  I was super excited to find the Make Your Own Juice Pulp Muffin because this called for 4 cups of juice pulp.  I HAVE THAT! :o)

First I mixed it all together.  It was a little thick, so I added 1/2 cup of OJ. 

Then using an ice scream scoop, I scooped it into my muffin pans (x2).
It calls to bake it for 45 minutes.  Yep.  45 minutes.  I set my timer for 40 minutes, but it was done around 33ish minutes. 
The muffins come out looking like they went into the oven.  They aren't pretty, but I know they are healthy. 
They were a little bland (a strawberry juice pulp would have increased the flavor I'm sure), but with a dab of melted butter and drizzled with honey it was pretty good.  I think I would substitute 1/2 cup honey and 1/2 brown sugar instead of the 1 cup of honey and add 1/2 cup OJ as well.  Not bad for a pulp creation!
 
Here are a few yummy juice recipes our family likes:
 
Strawspinoranopple
1 cup strawberries
1 orange peeled
1 cup spinach
1 apple
2 tbsp flax seed ground up
 
(98 calories in 1 8oz cup)
 
Juice Medley
1 cup grapes
1 apple
1 peeled orange
2 apples
2 pomegranites peeled
 
 
V-5 (was a little too carroty for me)
4 stalks celery
1/2 bell pepper seeded
6 med carrots
2 med tomatoes
1 med cucumber

No comments:

Post a Comment