Monday, August 29, 2011

Pom Pom Rug in the making

I saw this cute pom pom rug on Lion Brand Yarn

I just knew that I had to make with the GOBS of yarn that I have.  Here is an easy way to make your own.

Start with a ball of yarn.












In order to make the pom poms, you will need to either make a nifty "U" shaped cardboard template, or use your fingers to wrap the yarn around.












Next, wrap the yarn around your "U" template about 30 times or more, depending on the fatness of the pom pom you want.

Then take a small strip of yarn and tightly....tightly wrap around the middle of the "U".



Now, cut the ends of either side of your wrapped yarn.
It should look like this now. 
You can shorten your edges and make it into a round pom pom (too much like everyone else, so I like mine shaggy)

Repeat this step however many pom poms it takes to make the size rug, blanket, craft that you want.  I am making a rug and completed over 30 and am about halfway done. 

This is a "before" shot when I laid out my pom poms on the island.

Doesn't this just make you wanna stick your feet in it and reminisce the shag carpet years?  I know, right?

As I laid out all of my pom poms, I thought.....what am I going to use to attach these to? 

What did I get?  A nonslip rug back from Dollar Tree.  $1 for the back, and I already had the yarn.  Gotta love what I can make from what I have!  What have YOU made from the stuff lying around your house?

I'm linking to Creation Corner.

1 comment:

  1. That's a great idea! I wonder if you can make a rug rag with a non-slip rug back. That would be a good way to use up some worn out clothes I was throwing away.

    ReplyDelete